You are watching: None of the above meme
The media has actually all however disregarded the high level of disillusionment and also disenchantment among America’s voters. So too have actually both the RNC and also the DNC — especially given the mounting evidence of Democrats dissing voters behind closed emails. It’s time for at leastern one voter to perform somepoint in response. Something as big as what Rictough Pryor’s character did in Brewster’s Millions three years earlier. And given that I’m creating this, it could as well be me.
I have actually done this before. When I voted in my initially presidential election in 1988. After eight years of the Reagan Revolution’s policies declining my household into welfare poverty, tright here was no way I could vote for his vice president, George Herbert Walker “Read My Lips, No New Taxes” Shrub. After the clown-auto Democratic primaries that contained the race-smearing of Jesse Jackboy Sen. Gary Hart’s (D-CO) affair with Donna Rice, Joe Biden’s speech plagiarism, and also not-ready-for primetime players Rep. Rictough Gephardt (D-MO), Al Gore, Joe Biden, et al., I couldn’t vote for Michael Dukakis. I voted beforehand and by absentee ballot, considering that I saw college at the College of Pittsburgh, however was still a New York State resident. And I created in “Jesse Jackchild.” In some means, I knew even more around America’s dirty national politics at eighteen than I’ve demonstrated by voting for “the lesser of 2 evils” in so many elections because 1988.
It’s not that I don’t understand also what’s at stake this time approximately. The GOP presidential nominee is a narcissistic plutocrat via fascist tendencies. Clbeforehand whatever before the Democratic nominee is, she is not as narcissistic or plutocratic, and also not at all a fascist. But her background in sly triangulation, in lip-company to racial, sex, immigration, sex-related orientation, and social class inequalities and also discrimination goes ago decades. If part of her qualifications encompass her eight years as First Lady, then President William J. Clinton’s policies on mass incarceration, welfare recreate, financial deregulation, and profession deals outsourcing labor are also her own. Two and a half years earlier, I created a blog outlining why I would most likely have to put a clothespin over my nose to vote for the currently Democratic nominee for president.
Now, after even more lofty considerations from Princeton professor Eddie S. Glaude, Jr., I am no longer holding to this setup of action. As Glaude wrote, his “daddy, a gruff male that has actually lived every one of his life on the coast of Mississippi, taught
For the presidency, I propose that Americans provide themselves a selection for November, one that has absolutely zero opportunity of winning. My number one option would be for countless Americans to vote “None of the Above” this autumn. By digital ballot, absentee ballot, Net ballot, on a folded napkin, or on an aircraft carrier. If Americans truly want to send a message to the plutocrats in charge of US national politics and the mainstream media (whether FOX News, MSNBC, CNN, or the mainline networks), then vote, however don’t vote for either Hillary or the Donald. Take this Donald’s advice and vote “None of the Above.”
But also I’m not certain if I’m comfortable with that method. “None of the Above” is really an anti-every little thing vote. Part of me thinks that I and also millions of others may need to vote for something or for someone. Again, this something or someone would have absolutely no opportunity of victory in this space-time continuum. The device is already rigged.
To sfinish a clearer message, right here are some sample alternatives to think about:
1. Snoopy. Why not? He’s cool, caring, and also always looks out for the bit guy. Americans have the right to be certain that he would certainly support a minimum wage of $15 or even more per hour, and would press for single-payerhealthtreatment. Plus, after his imaginary experiences via the First World War, Americans would know that the excellent beagle would discontinue this superpower’s preemptive war policies.
Charlie Brown fooled by Lucy and also the footsphere, again, October 30, 2011. (http://www.flickr.com).
2. Charlie Brvery own. He’s a true underdog. An underdog with the presidency would certainly be someone that cannot be bought by Wall surface Street or K Street, NW (the latter’s DC lobbyists’ row, by the way). Here’s someone who would certainly press through a $3-trillion, five-year, nationwide infrastructural spending bill in his first 100 days in office. And after years of dealing with football humiliation at Lucy Van Pelt’s hands, Americans can be sure that the NFL monopoly, brain-damage study, gun regulate legislation, and residential violence worries would certainly all be front-and-center in his management.
On to more severe options:
Harriet Tubman portrait, 1895. (National Park Service https://www.nps.gov). In public domain.
3. Harriet Tubguy. Yes, she’s been dead for 103 years. But as a truly independent-minded woman that was the ultimate symbol of defiance to slaextremely in all its creates, she would’ve made a much better president than either the 2016 Republican or Democratic nominee. There’s also no doubt what Tubguy would carry out about police violence towards Blacks and Latinos or wbelow she’d stand on women’s rights. She would certainly simply store going
4. Derrick Bell. Also dead as of 2011 (may he RIP). Bell taken — a lot more than most of his Civil Rights Period colleagues — that symbolic and also incremental changes only serve to keep the condition quo. That a trickle of the negative and Americans of color are able to suffer social mobility is the kernel of truth that envelopes the mythology that “anyone in America deserve to make it.” That raw, naked truth about the persistence of Amerihave the right to racism and its intertwining via social course inefeatures and also policies would certainly have made him a good candiday. Without a doubt Bell was much better equipped to address what President Barack Obama has been both too afrassist to say and also also unwilling (bereason of his conciliatory philosophy) to acknowledge in his push conferences and also so-called tvery own halls on race.
5. Lani Guinier. The crucial race theorist and constitutional regulation professor snubbed after President Bill Clinton’s initial nomicountry for Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights in 1993 must make anyone an admirer. Guinier has many strong views on affirmative activity, the national politics that marginalize breakable populaces, and on the voting procedure itself. If anyone can represent an anti-facility perspective and also also proscribe radical revisionary policies, it would certainly be her.
Close-up of Rita Moreno at 50th anniversary of West Side Story celebration, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, Hollylumber, CA, November 15, 2011. (John Ferguson by means of Wikipedia). Released to public doprimary by means of CC-SA-3.0.
6. Rita Moreno. Just bereason. And The Electric Company.
7. Serena Williams. Jesse Williams. W. E. B. Du Bois. Eduarcarry out Bonilla-Silva. James Baldwin. Sonia Maria Sotomayor. Beyoncé. All of them individually and/or jointly stop reality to power and have the right to tear the cover off the sphere once it pertains to discrimicountry and also inefeatures. They’ve all exposed falsehoods and also stand also for something that a lot of Americans can’t define: the liberty to be.
Tright here are so many type of others I might compose down as potential write-ins for the President of the USA slot come November. Folks who are my Twitter followers or my Facebook friends. People who represent beyond party and above an ideological checklist. I might certainly create myself in. But that would be as well a lot for them, and most likely method also a lot for me.
See more: “Before They Bury You” Wont Finish: Mafia 3 Before They Bury You
Americans need to execute somepoint. As for me, while I’ll put my trust in God, I also understand what I should execute. I have to vote, yet not for candidays that include so little bit of what I desire to check out in this country, now and in the future. So, beyond “Namong the Above,” Snoopy, Tubguy, and also Sotomayor appeal to my political consciousness even more so than what this solipsistic political process might ever sell.